Thursday, March 15, 2012

Trying to do yoga in a pachinko parlor


Oh what a night!  As the prednisone and benadryl wore off Annie began getting rashes all over from the ATG so, again, they stopped the IV and waited until she could have her next dose of meds.  Then they started again at a slower rate, this meant the procedure would need to go later into the evening.  She "went to bed" around 9 p.m. but, with all the fluids being pumped in, was up every two hours to use the restroom.  This isn't easy as it requires unhooking three lines from her body, unplugging her IV pole and wheeling it, and her, about.  By 10:30 I got to bed and then the fun began.  First it would be the nurse checking vitals (this is done every 30-60 minutes during ATG), then it would be little whimpers from Annie.  These were upsetting until I realized the pattern, about fifteen minutes before she would tell me she needed to go potty she would make these sounds.  So after one cycle of this I calmed down enough to sleep.  Then...ding-ding-ding-ding-ding...stop.  It was one of her machines but because it stopped and no one came in I'd try to get back to sleep...deep, yoga belly-breathes I'd tell myself, relax.  Ding-ding-ding....  Finally I got up, walked to the machine and it would stop.  Back to bed.  After a series of this I realized it went off when her heart-rate dropped below 70 but I guess the sound would wake her and cause her heart rate to go up and it would stop.  Back to bed.

"Mommy I need to go potty."  Out of bed, very groggy.  The machines beep when you unhook them but for some sleepy reason I got in my head that the beep also meant trouble with the IV.  I looked at the screen on the pump, "Maintenance IV."  "Oh no I thought, the IV needs maintenance."  Thus while she's using the restroom I'm working myself into a dither about the IV.  Finally I get her back to bed and I open the door and, with great seriousness, tell the nurse at the night desk, "Her pump says Maintenance IV."  She says, "Yep, that's right."  Now I'm bothered and thinking the nurse needs to work on her people skills.  I keep assuming someone is on the way to fix the pump.  Eventually it dawns on me, its the pump that maintains her IV fluids 24-7, oops.  Breathe in and out, try to sleep.  Nope, time to start the red blood transfusion.  I try to entertain Annie with my IV embarrassment story and when I get to the punch line about it being the name of the pump she says, "Yeah, I know."  But the words combined with the tone and expression meant, "Yeah, I know dummy."  Ok I'll just slither back to the bunk and almost fall asleep when you wake me to go potty, thanks :/

Ding-ding-ding.  Now I work myself up about the dings - breathing rate is something I'm supposed to look out for.  Have desk nurse come in and she says we need a new finger-pulse monitor (she's very nice in real life versus my sleepy imagination).  Great, it wasn't Annie, back to yoga breaths.  Ding, ding, ding.  Time to call her nurse.  She lowers the heart rate threshold on the machine.  Breathe....  "Mommy...."  Repeat, but ... good morning... time to take labs, medicine, order breakfast, meet with doctors, bathe Annie...right-o!

So our plan for the day is Day 2 of ATG with a lesser concentration but at the same rate as yesterday so it will take longer but hopefully avoiding the adverse reactions.  Also even more profilactic medications.  ATG begins at 12:30 because it's once every 24-hours over four days.  Will report tonight.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Annie,

    We hope you feel better soon.

    love,
    Kelsey, Eliza and Matthew

    ReplyDelete