Monday, March 12, 2012

Stay-cation Graph


We're still at home.

As you can imagine, sitting at home waiting for the phone to ring is not how Tom wanted to spend two of his vacation days.  It's bad enough to use them up in the hospital with your child but it's "super icky" to spend them for no purpose.  This is not a new phenomenon for us and, being a math teacher, I decided I'd graph it to get a better handle on what we experience.  On the left is an average day - there will be a couple "great" moments, a lot of "ok" and a little "icky."  It seems fair and balanced - I can live with it.

When something "icky" enters the picture and decides to stay (like Annie's illness) it's like the entire day drops down to "icky" and goes up and down from there (thus the picture on the right). Until now I kept being surprised when bad things happened on top of bad things already happening.  I'd think that the quota for "icky" things had already been filled for the day and that it wasn't fair or balanced to add "icky" on top of "icky."  Now that I've graphed it, I get it.  Just because an "icky" thing has moved in doesn't mean you get exempted from the daily ups and downs on top of it.

So we wait more.  The insurance was finally, officially, approved at 5ish and now we start again tomorrow waiting for a bed to open up.  Until then....

No comments:

Post a Comment