Saturday, March 17, 2012

Don't kill the messenger


We've decided that the most eventful stuff happens on my watch because I write the blog.  Thus I've decided it's my civic duty to help the unemployment rate and create a job opening for this position....

Today started innocently enough.  Morning routine, then Annie went to the playroom and made the aquarium pictured above (note the artful use of medical tape), then I spent most of the day managing her moody and munchiness.  

The final day of ATG started without event.  Since yesterday went smoothly it should have been another straight forward day but then, I guess, I'd have nothing dramatic to write about.  With an hour to go Annie's blood pressure shot up and she started alerting us of a headache.  Now Annie is one stoic little kid and when she starts contorting in pain and says she needs help it has to be a major event.  Unfortunately there aren't as many medical professionals around on a Saturday at 5:00 and getting action on this event took longer than anyone wanted.  We had about forty minutes of sustained, acute head pain before she experienced relief.  The extent of my training in pain management was my Lamaze class, so I resorted to pretending she was giving birth.  Therefore lots of breathing and cool compresses to the forehead until a medicine to reduce the blood pressure arrived and took effect.

Once the blood pressure came down and the head pain was gone the ATG was resumed at half the rate (thus double the time to completion).  While there was absolutely nothing funny about this episode, I can't help but roll my eyes to realize that not five minutes after we got everything stabilized Tom walks in for his shift and everything has been calm since.  There is just over an hour to go and then begins the waiting period to see if this treatment has the desired effect on Annie's blood counts, and that will take a while to know.  This would be a good time to pray us across the finish line!

1 comment: