Monday, March 26, 2012

Below the surface


Side effects of prednisone include moodiness and puffiness both of which we all got to enjoy this weekend.  However prednisone also hides the "serum sickness" lurking just below the surface.  So as we attempted to ease off the prednisone Annie's personal Loch Ness monster broke through the surface in the form of a hives-like looking rash on her face and body and some discomfort.  She also had the pleasure of blood blisters in her mouth.  By this morning things were getting worse.  She was always going to have to go to school late as her blood draw was scheduled for this morning but with the rash she just wanted to hide at home.  However by mid-morning the rash had faded and, since she was otherwise feeling well, we encouraged her to go to school.  

All day no matter what I was doing I worried in the background.  Then at 10:48 she called from school.  The rash was back.  Her classmates were worried and pointed it out to her.  The doctor said as long as she didn't have a fever she didn't need to go to the hospital and she felt fine so I encouraged her to stay.  All day I pictured her with a raw, red rash across her body and face.  I imagined how challenging it must have been to have people staring at her all day.  I drove myself crazy.  

I play this game to help me cope where I say, "I'm so glad...(something bad that happened)."  So I said, "I'm so glad she is experiencing what it's like to be disfigured, it will give her greater empathy for others with similar challenges, she'll really learn to value the good things hidden beneath the surface."  Crazy, right, but it helps.  Any how the moment came when I picked her up at school.  Anxiously I waited and then she bound into the room with a big smile on her face and her skin as smooth as porcelain.  For the rest of the day I've had a big smile on my face.

Ignorance is bliss and her blood counts won't be available until tomorrow.  So for tonight, seeing is deceiving, and I can pretend, for a little while, that all is good on the surface and below.

2 comments:

  1. You are such a great writer! I was totally into your story as if I was there!

    Lets keep Praying! Hate that Predizone Stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa, I know that you are probably feeling the rash and redness as if they were on you. Steroids are a miracle, but they are a costly miracle. They give the immune system a boost and they extract their pound of flesh by way of sleeplessness, puffiness, hunger and mood swings.

    Every time you write about your experience it helps someone, Melissa. You are showing that it's important to reach out to others and you're showing all of us how to advocate for our children.

    ReplyDelete