Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Viking Annie


Day 1 (99 bottles of beer on the wall to go): When Annie had her first transplant there was a tiny bag of cloudy yellow liquid containing her stem cells (from the umbilical cord) hanging from the pole.  I was flabbergasted to see the picture of what she got this time - the large bag of red above.  And her donor gave more than one bag!  Now I'm thinking her donor is some massive descendant of a Viking warrior.

When Annie began having her considerable pain yesterday it started in her legs and moved down and then across her arms - all the largest spaces for bone marrow.  The nurse hadn't seen such a reaction, yet  questioned was it possible the stem cells were having an effect that quickly.  Annie kept saying she felt like she was ballooning up - like the incredible hulk I imagined.

She awoke from her morphine-laced slumber yesterday evening pain-free and she went on to have a routine night.  Today has been uneventful until I encouraged her to have a little to eat (it had gone so well back with the chips) and her body responded by dramatically tossing back the effort.  Now she is furious at me and I'm kind of skulking around the room while she shoots me dirty looks.  She'll go on TPN tomorrow and we'll wait a bit before attempting solid food again.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad that, Annie is grumpy. My grandmother always said that means the person is getting better. It's hard on mommy, though.
    I hope that you both have a more restful night tonight. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the interest of Vikings, maybe she should take on an additional middle name, Viking style! :-)

    ReplyDelete